Friday, July 25, 2008

pimp my ride

I got a new-to-me bike a few weeks ago. (A hand-me-down from Basia) I can't tell you how much I've been wanting a bike like this. The one I do have has a zillion gears on it and I have no idea how to use any of them. Plus, the bar on it is so high I can't ride it in a skirt. In my defense, when I bought it 20 years ago, I'd have laughed at anyone who said I might one day want to ride a bike while wearing a skirt. But now the problem has been solved. Behold my Schwinn Collegiate:
The wicker basket looks much better on this bike than it did on my mountain bike, but it needed a little sprucing up.
The fabric is from an old pair of Laura Ashley dungarees. Yes, I wore them out of the house once upon a time. It was when I had no problem looking like an overgrown toddler in public.
The fabric was cut so I could use the already existing pockets inside the basket to hold my keys and cell phone when the kids and I are out.

The bias tape binding was thrifted. A couple well placed buttonholes allowed the straps to run through the lining.

It still needs a bell.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Badger said...

Awesome! I have bike envy. And bike basket envy.

Anonymous said...

You need to put some playing cards in your spokes.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

That's just like my blue Schwinn I used to ride to work and the library, before I got my license.

Mine had a plain wire basket. Your basket ROCKS!

Patty said...

What a cool bike! And, I love what you did with the basket.

Poppy B. said...

I join Badger in total bike envy. And that fabric is gorgeous. Maybe not across my rear end, but in a bike basket? Are you kidding me? I'm weeping jellus tears.

blackbird said...

Please make some fabric streamers for your handlebar grips.

MsCellania said...

I NEED that bike. I am going to start biking to the grocery store. We are looking at options. But your bike would be a good start.

Rebekah said...

this bike is so cute! I love your little basket project :)

Carol said...

I think I bought this bike for myself with all my savings in 1978. No basket though.